Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My fabulous co-worker Keli recently mentioned how much she loves chocolate zucchini bread. I've always been a fan of zucchini bread but had never tried it with chocolate. So using Keli as my Guinea pig I gave chocolate zucchini bread a try. This triple chocolate recipe is wonderfully decadent but still somewhat 'healthy'. This recipe makes two regular size loaves or 5 mini loaves (use 1 cup for each mini loaf pan).
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate (usually one square)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (tossed in a little flour)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two loaf pans with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave, stir.
- Sift together, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk, melted chocolate, apple sauce, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each egg. Stir in zucchini.
- Stir flour mixture into zucchini mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake regular loaf pans for 50-70 minutes, mini's bake in 25-30 minutes in my oven.