Recipe by Nadia Melkowits
This is a recipe for a very moist cake that is very common in Bulgaria and Russia.. Tip: When adding the brown-sugar mixture to the middle of cake, be sure to spread it evenly.
- 125 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra, to grease
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar, to dust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 360°F Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt on high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Fold butter mixture and sour cream alternately through flour mixture until just combined.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts in a small bowl. Grease a cake ring and spoon in one-third of the cake batter. Scatter over half the sugar mixture, then top with half the remaining cake batter. Scatter over remaining sugar mixture and top with remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with powder sugar to serve.