Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Enjoy spooned over hot mashed potatoes. I use reduced-fat turkey keilbasy/smoked sausage. It's a pretty quick-to-make meal.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb reduced-fat turkey kielbasa, sliced, can use smoked turkey sausage
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 (32 ounce) bag sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, squeezed dry
- 32 ounces low-sodium vegetable juice (such as V8)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- salt, if needed, to taste
- hot cooked mashed potatoes
- Heat butter over med-high heat in a large deep skillet.
- Add sliced keilbasy/smoked sausage, onion slices and caraway seeds to skillet and brown, stirring turning often until onions are soft.
- Add to the skillet the squeezed-out sauerkraut, vegetable juice, brown sugar and black pepper. Stir together well.
- Cover and gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rf sour cream.
- Taste and add salt, if necessary.
- When done, serve over hot mashed potatoes.