Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just came up with a quicker way of enjoying the same great taste of cabbage rolls, passed down from my Granny Conn! Not only is it faster to make, but cooks in half the time. I add habanero peppers for a little fire but caution when chopping--use gloves and/or wash hands several times-do not rub eyes after using these peppers--they are VERY HOT.
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 -3 finely chopped habanero peppers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 -4 tablespoons light brown sugar (white is ok)
- 1 tablespoon salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quick white rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 lbs ground sirloin or 3 lbs ground round
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 -2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- In a large kettle, pour 1/2 of tomato juice in and bring to a boil.
- Cut up or shred and add to tomatoe juice, cabbage In a large non-stick skillet, lightly brown onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef (uncooked), bread crumbs, eggs, rice, peppers, onion and garlic.
- Allow cabbage to cook until starting to get tender, about 15 minutes.
- Roll meat/rice mixture into small meatball sized balls and place on top of cabbage mixture.
- Pour remaining tomatoe juice and can of tomatoe sauce and water (if tomato juice/sauce is too thick) into mixture.
- Add salt, pepper, brown sugar, and vinegar to mixture.
- Cover with lid and cook 45 minutes to one hour.
- Check after 30 minutes, then cook additional 30 minutes if meat is still pink.
- Serve with any kind of potatoes and warm crusty bread or bisquits.