Recipe by canarygirl
This recipe comes from a cookbook called, "La Cocina Griega," by Gilbert Wenzler. Posted by request.
Top Review by Rainberry Blues
These are very good. I wanted to make them lower fat, so I used extra-lean ground beef and I didn't fry them. Instead, I shaped them into small patties and grilled them on my indoor grill, and then transfered the patties to a skillet and added the wine. I didn't use any oil at all. They turned out very well. A nice blend of flavors. I served them with scalloped potatoes, tossed salad and homemade bread.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground lamb
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup red wine
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a little olive oil, fry the onions.
- Mix the onions, meat, bread crumbs milk, parsley and the egg in a bowl.
- Season to taste.
- Form balls with the meat, and fry in hot oil.
- When the balls are fully cooked, drain the oil.
- Pour wine over the Keftithakia, and let reduce about 3/4 (I assume this means to reduce so that 1/4 of the sauce remains).
- Serve hot.