Recipe by mandabears
This excellent recipe comes from Saveur Magazine and is so delicious and not difficult to prepare. I served it over steamed couscous.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin, I used less
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- kosher salt and freshly groulnd black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes with juice, drained, crushed by hand (I used 2 14 ounce cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, unpitted
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lamb, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon paprika, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Form mixture into 12 meatballs, about 1 ounce, and plate onto a plate.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Heat butter and oil in a 6 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring until soft about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining cumin, paprika, chile pepper flakes,ginger, saffron and bay leaf.
- Cook stirring until fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and cook stirring until the tomatoes break down and sauce slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs and cook covered until cooked through about 10 minutes.
- Crack eggs over the top of the meatballs.
- Arrange olives around eggs.
- Cover and cook until whites of egg are cooked and yolks are still runny.
- About 8 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with parsley before serving.