Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the "Kitchen Cravings" blog. This recipe is adapted from one that called for buttermilk. I love kefir and am searching for more ways to use it. This recipe has the added benefit of make-ahead ease - you can keep the batter in the fridge for up to a week, baking up a few fresh muffins each morning with your choice of jam filling.
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml kefir or 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 78.07 ml canola oil or 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 78.07 ml applesauce
- 1 large egg
- jam or jelly
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. LIne muffin pan cups with paper liners.
- In bowl of stand mixer mix all dry ingredients until there are no more clumps of brown sugar.
- In separate bowl, mix kefir, oil, applesauce and egg.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and mix just until the batter comes together. (At this point, you can refrigerate the batter for up to a week).
- Using 1/4 measuring cup or ice cream scoop fill muffin cups 2/3 full. If making jam muffins add 1 teaspoon of jam to each muffin and lightly press into the center of each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are set and golden on top.