Recipe by Anu
In Tamil, Keerai = spinach. This recipe has been in my family for absolute ages, and is unfailingly on the table at lunch every Sunday... and we'll never get tired of it! :-) This is a very nutritious stew that's perfect over steamed rice. A spicy pickle or condiment is traditionally served along with this. Or, you can just have the stew as a, well, stew or soup! Hope you like this one!
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
I had this for lunch, absolutely good! Had it over hot white rice wit some dahi boondhi on the side, yummy:) My mom did think it was soup:) For myself, I kept aside a bowl of this to which I did not add the seasoning ingredients. I still loved it. For mom and dad, I did add the seasoning ingredients, but, I couldn't add the black urad dal as I didnt have it on hand. Yet,it was lovely, thank you! Note: I licked my fingers clean while making the coconut paste:)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed,not dried,coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup yellow lentils (tur dal)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 red chile
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (skinned and split black gram)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure that you don't dry the spinach after washing.
- Cook the chopped spinach in a microwavable bowl, covered, in a microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, with 1 teaspoon salt, stirring thrice.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add water, lentils, and turmeric in a pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Do not drain.
- Grind coconut, cumin, red chili, with 1/2 cup water in a blender, to a paste.
- Remove from the blender and set aside.
- In the same blender (you needn't wash it), separately grind the spinach coarsely (don't make it into a paste!).
- Mix the spinach, coconut paste, and cooked lentils (along with its water) together in a large pot and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and set aside.
- While the spinach-lentil mixture is boiling, in a small frying pan, heat the oil, and add mustard seeds and Urad dal.
- When the mustard sputters, pour the contents of the frying pan into the spinach-lentil mixture.
- Stir, and serve hot, over plained steamed rice.