Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In Tamil, Keerai = spinach. This recipe has been in my family for absolute ages, and is unfailingly on the table at lunch every Sunday... and we'll never get tired of it! :-) This is a very nutritious stew that's perfect over steamed rice. A spicy pickle or condiment is traditionally served along with this. Or, you can just have the stew as a, well, stew or soup! Hope you like this one!
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed,not dried,coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup yellow lentils (tur dal)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 red chile
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (skinned and split black gram)
- Make sure that you don't dry the spinach after washing.
- Cook the chopped spinach in a microwavable bowl, covered, in a microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, with 1 teaspoon salt, stirring thrice.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add water, lentils, and turmeric in a pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Do not drain.
- Grind coconut, cumin, red chili, with 1/2 cup water in a blender, to a paste.
- Remove from the blender and set aside.
- In the same blender (you needn't wash it), separately grind the spinach coarsely (don't make it into a paste!).
- Mix the spinach, coconut paste, and cooked lentils (along with its water) together in a large pot and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and set aside.
- While the spinach-lentil mixture is boiling, in a small frying pan, heat the oil, and add mustard seeds and Urad dal.
- When the mustard sputters, pour the contents of the frying pan into the spinach-lentil mixture.
- Stir, and serve hot, over plained steamed rice.