1 hr 10 mins
Chef Boy of Dee's's Note:
The dough for the flaky bread "Paratha" can be baked plain or stuffed with any number of delicious fillings. Keema (meaning ground meat) Paratha is considered a delicacy and is served only in fancy Indian Restaurants.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chapati flour or 2 cups whole wheat flour, plus additional for kneading and dusting
- 2/3 cup warm water water, more if needed (100 F)
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 fresh hot green chili peppers, poppers cored seeded,chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic (more is better however)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 6 tablespoons light vegetable oil, such as safflower or soybean (or as needed)
- 1Place flour in large bowl.
- 2Add 1/3 cup of the water all at once; work it into the flour, using your hand.
- 3Continuing to mix with your hand, keep adding water, a tablespoonful at a time, until mixture cleans sides of bowl and becomes a non-stickly, kneadable dough.
- 4Gather dough into a ball; place on lightly floured work surface.
- 5Clean hands thoroughly, then knead dough, adding flour as necessary to prevent it from sticking to surface, until smooth and somewhat elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 6Place in a clean bowl; let stand, covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 7(Dough can be made up to 3 days in advance; store, tightly wrapped in plastic, in refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before rolling out.) While dough is resting; heat dry non-corrodible heavy medium skillet over high heat for 3 minutes.
- 8Reduce heat to medium-high; add ground beef.
- 9Saute beef in its own fat, breaking up any lumps with wooden spoon, until no longer red (about 3 to 4 minutes.) Add onion, chilies, cumin, and garlic; cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated and meat is beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- 10Stir in flour, lemon juice, and optional salt and coriander until well combined.
- 11Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- 12(Filling can be made up to 24 hours in advance; refrigerate, tightly covered. Bring to room temperature before using.) When filling is cool divide into 8 equal portions.
- 13Roll dough into a rope about 8 inches long; cut into 8 equal pieces.
- 14Keeping remaining dough covered, flatten one piece, on a lightly floured surface, into a 4-inch round with the palm of the your hand.
- 15Place one portion of filling in center of round.
- 16Bring edges of dough up over filling to enclose it completely; pinch to seal.
- 17Press lightly but firmly to flatten into patty.
- 18Dust patty with flour; roll out on lightly floured surface to 6-inch round, dusting as necessary with flour; round should be about 1/8 inch thick.
- 19Fill and roll out remaining patties, placing rounds as they are completed on baking sheets or other flat surface; do not allow rounds to touch.
- 20Keep covered with plastic wrap.
- 21Heat dry heavy medium skillet over high heat for 3 minutes.
- 22Place one round of dough in skillet; cook until underside is spotted with brown, about 2 minutes.
- 23Turn over; cook until second side is spotted with brown, about 1 minute.
- 24Brush surface or paratha with oil.
- 25Turn; brush second side with oil.
- 26Cook paratha, turning several times, until lightly puffed and well spotted with brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 27Repeat procedure with remaining rounds of dough, stacking and wrapping them as they are cooked in clean kitchen towel.
- 28Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Keema Paratha (Flaky Bread with Spicy Meat Filling)
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.5
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 28.5 mg
- Sodium 29.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: