Recipe by chia
another recipe from my many cookbooks, this one is kosher and is great served over rice
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This was a delicious dinner served over rice. Sort of like a ground-beef stew, with lots of flavour provided by the unusual spicing. Lacking good tomatoes, I used a 1 lb plum tomatoes (drained) and broke them up with a fork. A meal everyone should make for everyday.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs ground veal or 2 lbs ground lamb or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ripe fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- 10 ounces peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in a skillet, add onions, garlic, and stir until softened.
- add spices and continue stirring add meat, continue stirring.
- when meat is browned you may drain excess grease.
- then add tomatoes and peas.
- reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes more.
- sprinkle with lemon juice if you want, serve.