Recipe by Hina Ali
Bittergourd is a natural blood purifier and has numerous benefits. Try out this wonderful full recipe of stuffed bittergourd. Incredibly easy and simple and tasteful.
- 1⁄2 kg beef mince or 1⁄2 kg mutton mince
- 1⁄2 kg bitter melon
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 4 green chilies
- 4 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrape the bitter-gourds and give a slit each lengthwise. Remove the seeds.
- Apply salt properly outside and inside the bitter-gourd. Keep aside for ½ an hour.
- Then rinse and remove as much water as possible. Take a pan, put water with 1 tbsp of tamarind, and heat it up until it evaporates, then add bitter gourds and boil for 5 minutes.
- Then drain and heat some oil and fry the bitter gourds for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Now add the onions to the pan and again fry to a golden brown, then add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt to the same oil and sauté for a few minutes before adding the tomato.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and a little water. Cook covered until tomatoes are just about done.
- Then add mince, fry and cook with some water until done. Then add green chillies, tamarind pulp, fresh coriander and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now stuff the bitter-gourds with this stuffing. Tie each bitter-gourd with thread properly.
- Now arrange stuffed bitter gourd in remaining mince and add ¼ cup of water and cook on very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chopped fresh coriander.