Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Serve with roti and pickle.
- 500 g bitter melons (Karailay)
- 300 g boneless skinless chicken (minced)
- 4 large onions (peeled & sliced, all 3 separated)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 green chilies (Hari Mirch, more or less may be used depending on taste preferance.)
- 5 garlic cloves (Lehsan, chopped)
- 2 inches ginger (Adrak, freshly grated)
- 3 tablespoons coriander (Hara Dhania, chopped, for garnish) or 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves (Hara Dhania, chopped, for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons salt (or as needed to cover bitter gourds)
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed (whole)
- Take the bitter gourds and peel off the skin. Cut each bitter gourd longways and de-seed them. Sprinkle salt all over the bitter gourds to cover them well with salt. Set aside for at least 3 hours (overnight if possible.).
- Put the turmeric powder ,garlic,salt, chili powder, ground coriander,1 cup water and keema in a heavy based pot. cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the meat is cook. allow to cool it.
- Now add sliced onions,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,tomatoes and green chillies.Fill each bitter gourd with the minced chicken. Then sew the bittergourds with thread and a needle, so they do not open while frying. In a karai, heat the oil and fry bittergourds in oil on medium heat until they turn golden.
- Add bitter gourds in remaining keema with oil and simmer for another five minutes on low heat.