Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my version of a breakfast I had while in Ireland. The version there was made with smoked haddock (finnan haddie). I did not change the butter (can't do without!)but I did cut it in half. I also use fat-free half & half in place of the cream. This is delicious for any meal. I serve it with crusty bread and a salad to make a complete dinner.
- 1 cup long grain rice, cook in the usual method
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces cracked black pepper smoked salmon
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 -2 sprig fresh parsley, minced
- Cover the smoked salmon (remove skin if necessary) in water and gently poach, turning once until fish begins to flake.
- Remove from the poaching liquid (reserve) and break apart with a fork.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet, add fish and stir gently for a few minutes.
- Mix in the cooked rice.
- Meanwhile, in bowls, evenly divide the half and half, add small pinch of nutmeg to each and 1/4C poaching liquid.
- Spoon hot rice/fish mixture into bowls and top with chopped egg and minced parsley.
This was OK, but quite bland for my tastes