Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Kazi's Rice Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces oil or 2 ounces butter
- 1 ounce garlic (minced)
- 4 ounces onions (chopped)
- 3 ounces bell peppers (red, green, other)
- 2 ounces carrots (shredded)
- 2 ounces yellow squash (diced)
- 4 cups rice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper (to taste,)
- bay leaf (optional)
- heat oil/butter in a large pan.
- saute garlic on low heat until fragrant - this will allow the oil to be infused with the flavor of the garlic, be careful not to burn/overcook the garlic or it will be bitter.
- add onion and continue to heat until onion becomes slightly translucent.
- add rice and vegetables, raise heat, stir rice and allow to lightly brown for a few minutes - this will allow the rice to take on a nutty flavor - take care not to burn the rice.
- add the stock (2:1 ratio for basic white rice, change if your packaging asks for a different ratio) and season as desired.
- cover and turn heat to low, allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes try not to remove the cover unless too much liquid was used (the amount of stock and time needed will depend on the type of rice used, follow the directions on the package of rice you use).