1/2 Photos of Kaypee's Homemade Indian Lamb Masala Curry
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Chef #1270709's Note:
I watched my mother,Aunt and sisters making this curry when I was 10 years old and then when I was in college I worked part time in a restaurant and Bar in Hyderabad,India and used to watch the Ustaad(Chef) grind all the herbs and spices in old fashined stone grinder and marinade Meat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before cooking,it came out heavenly delicious and so tender it would melt in your mouth without chewing,I have changed the level of spice to milder side,as in southern part of India the spice level is almost like FIRE in your mouth.Also I have changed some ingredients and some quantity of ingredients.Try it,you would want to make this dish part of your every week Lunch or Dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs lamb shoulder, round. cut into 2inch piece (don't discard bones they add flavor to the curry)
- 2 red onions, chopped (Large)
- 1 tomato, chopped (Medium)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 12 green cardamoms, pods. (seeds only Discard shell.)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon indian curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Or to your taste)
- 4 -6 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1If you have time you can mrinade Lamb with Mixture of yogurt,garlic,ginger night before or 2-4 hours for more tenderness.(But not necessary).
- 2In A Large Pot pour vegetable oil,turn stove on to medium high,add chopped onions,cumin seeds,garlic,ginger,bay leaves,cinnamon sticks, cloves.Saute onions until golden translucent about 6-8 minutes.
- 3Add Lamb pieces mix so onion mixture is blended together.Cover reduce heat to medium and let meat blend with onion mixture for about 8 minutes.Uncover give a stir ,you will see meat has given out some liquuid to mixture.Add 2 tablespoon water to avoid sticking at bottom then add garam Masala,Curry powder,Serrano chopped chillies(Can use 1/12 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper)salt,nutmeg,turmeric powder,coriander powder and mix it well so Lamb pieces are bleneded with spices and mixture ,cover cook for 5-6 minutes,uncover add yogurt and mix it well,cover cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- 4Add chopped tomatoes to Lamb and spice mixture,cover cook 10 minutes.Add 1-2 cups of water( depending how much gravy you want in the curry,when finished cooking about 1/3 of the water amount will be finished curry gravy.)give it a stir taste gravy, add salt or Cayenne if needed,cover it 3/4 way bring heat to little over medium cook for 25-30 minutes.
- 5Give it a stir add cilantro,bring heat to medium, cook another 15 minutes covered.
- 6Serve it hot with one or more of the following Indian Basmati Rice,Naan,Paratha,Chapati,Tandoori Roti.With side of Raw sliced onions,or vinegarette sliced onions and chopped cucumbers,or Mint,cucumber yogurt Sauce(Raita).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kaypee's Homemade Indian Lamb Masala Curry
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.1
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.6 g
- Cholesterol 167.4 mg
- Sodium 479.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 42.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: