Recipe by kparyani1
I watched my mother,Aunt and sisters making this curry when I was 10 years old and then when I was in college I worked part time in a restaurant and Bar in Hyderabad,India and used to watch the Ustaad(Chef) grind all the herbs and spices in old fashined stone grinder and marinade Meat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before cooking,it came out heavenly delicious and so tender it would melt in your mouth without chewing,I have changed the level of spice to milder side,as in southern part of India the spice level is almost like FIRE in your mouth.Also I have changed some ingredients and some quantity of ingredients.Try it,you would want to make this dish part of your every week Lunch or Dinner.
Top Review by JustJanS
The seasonings of this recipe were spot-on for our tastes-just hot enough but not so hot the flavours got lost. I used little lamb chops which I marinated for 5 hours and I used Kashmiri chilli powder rather than seranos or cayenne (I love the heat and colour from the Kashmiri chilli powder). I found the directions a bit of a mystery in that I wasn't sure if I should use the yoghurt, ginger and garlic in the ingredients in the marinade, or if I should use extra. I decided against adding more of them and used the stuff from the ingredients list. Coriander powder is mentioned in the method but not in the ingredients list so I used 2 teaspoons. I found it a bit confusing with the ingredients all jumbled up rather than following the order they'd be used in the method. Still, apart from these few critisisms, this is well worthy of 5 stars and I can assure you I'll be making this again really soon.
- 2 -3 lbs lamb shoulder, round. cut into 2inch piece (don't discard bones they add flavor to the curry)
- 2 red onions, chopped (Large)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (Medium)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2-inch
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 12 green cardamoms, pods. (seeds only Discard shell.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon indian curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (Or to your taste)
- 4 -6 serrano chilies, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
Directions See How It's Made
- If you have time you can marinade Lamb with Mixture of yogurt,garlic,ginger,salt,Kashmiri Red chilli powder(or Cayenne) night before or 2-4 hours for more tenderness.(But not necessary).
- In A Large Pot pour vegetable oil,turn stove on to medium high,add chopped onions,cumin seeds,garlic,ginger,bay leaves,cinnamon sticks, cloves.Saute onions until golden translucent about 6-8 minutes.
- Add Lamb pieces(Meat only,reserving the excess yogurt mixture to be added later) mix so onion mixture is blended together.Cover reduce heat to medium and let meat blend with onion mixture for about 8 minutes.Uncover give a stir ,you will see meat has given out some liquid to mixture.Add 2 tablespoon water to avoid sticking at bottom,if necessary, then add garam Masala,Curry powder,Serrano chopped chillies(Can use 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper)salt,nutmeg,turmeric powder,coriander powder ,reserved yogurt mixture and mix it well so Lamb pieces are blended with spices and mixture ,cover cook for 8-10 minutes,uncover and mix it well,cover cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes ,cover cook 10 minutes.Add 1-2 cups of water( depending how much gravy you want in the curry,when finished cooking,it will be reduced to about 1/3 of the water added will be finished curry gravy.)give it a stir taste gravy, add salt or Cayenne if needed,cover it 3/4 way bring heat to little over medium cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Give it a stir add cilantro,bring heat to medium low, cook another 5 minutes covered.You can add boiled eggs cut into halves,length wise,5 minutes before serving covered in gravy(OPTIONAL).
- Serve it hot with one or more of the following Indian Basmati Rice,Naan,Paratha,Chapati,Tandoori Roti.(Recipes will be submitted to food.com shortly)With side of Raw sliced onions(Sprinkle vinegar if you do not like raw),or sliced onions and chopped cucumbers, Mint or cilantro yogurt Sauce(Raita-recipe will be submitted shortly).