Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 16 whole cloves
- 4 apples, peeled and cored
- 1⁄2 cup chilled heavy cream, stiffly whipped
- Place sugar and water in a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Insert 4 cloves in a ring around the top of each apple.
- Place apples side by side in the pan and baste with the syrup.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, basting occasionally, 15 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Let cool in syrup.
- Serve in individual dishes.
- Pile whipped cream in the center of each apple.
- Top with a tablespoon of the syrup.