Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a little Norwegian Recipes book of mine. Sorry about the oven temperatures! But, I believe a hot oven is 425 degrees, moderate is 350, and slow is 325.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup rich milk
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 3⁄4 cups flour
- 10 cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add slightly beaten egg, then the milk and lastly, the dry ingredients which have been sifted together- Stir as little as possible.
- turn dough out onto floured board, shape into small buns and bake about 10 minutes in a hot oven.
- When done, cut each roll in half and return to oven.
- Bake in a slow oven until brown.
Hi! I love this recipe of kavring - in Sweden "kavring" is sweet, dark rye bread, and I have always believed that in the classic apple sauce dessert (Tilslørte bondepiker) one uses sweetened ryebread crumbs... That's good too, but it's not rusks :-D Here's a conversion table for oven temperature. http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart7.html Hot (or quick) oven in 400ºF and slow is 300ºF :-) Hugs, and thank you :-) Sanna