Ex-Pat Mama's Note:
This recipe was given to me by my friend and Indian Cookery teacher, Kavita Singh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean the rice thoroughly. Soak for at least 1/2 hour in 2 cups of the water.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the ginger and onions and fry on medium heat for a few minutes - just until it begins to brown.
- 3Slightly crush the cumin seed, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and red chili. Don't pulverize, just crush enough to release flavor. Add the crushed spices to the onions. Fry for a few more minutes.
- 4Carefully pour the water off of the rice and into the cooking pan (the rice will be added later). Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water to the pan. Bring this water/onion/spice mixture to a boil.
- 5Add the rice and salt to the boiling pot. Stir gently.
- 6Cover with a tight lid and allow the rice to cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and garnish with the chopped coriander leaves.
- 7Serve with curry - Thermomix Yogurt Chicken is excellent, or Kavita Singh's Tardka Daal or yogurt. I've posted the recipes for the chicken and daal on Food.com.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kavita Singh's Plain Rice Pulao
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 787.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
young ginger root