Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe supposedly came from Katzinger's Deli in NYC. Clipped from an unknown magazine several years ago. Rich, wonderful, my favorite sweet kugel.
- 1 lb extra-wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature,cut into pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 5 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup corn flakes cereal, crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x13" glass baking dish.
- Cook noodles according to package directions until tender but still firm to the bite (al dente).
- Drain noodles well, then return to the hot pan.
- Add butter and toss until butter melts and the noodles are coated.
- Combine cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth.
- Add sour cream and eggs to the sugar mixture and whisk until blended well.
- Mix in buttered noodles gently.
- Spoon half of the noodle mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Dot with preserves.
- Spoon remaining noodle mixture over preserves layer.
- Sprinkle cornflake crumbs all over the top.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining 2 Tbsp sugar and sprinkle evenly over the crumbs.
- Bake until kugel is set and the top is golden brown, approximately 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before slicing into 12 squares.
- Serve warm or chilled.
this is sinfully delicious. smooth and creamy, sweet but not too sweet, just perfect. we ate this with dinner, but it could easily be a dessert. the whole family agreed it was awesome, and that in itself is worth 5 stars!
This is soooooooo good. I skipped the corn flakes and cooked it covered. I just don`t like the crunchy top. It came out Fabulous!!!! Apricots yum!
Egg noodles, butter, cream cheese, SOUR CREAM, total Jewish soul food! This makes one huge, rich kugel, and we loved it! I didn't change a thing, except we didn't have any apricot preserves, so I used orange marmalade, delicious! I wanted to freeze some for later, but the entire kugel was devoured in one sitting, and this is a huge kugel (didn't I say that already?)!! Heather, you rule!