1/4 Photos of Katzen's Minestrone (Vegetarian)
1 hr 30 mins
I'm famous for my Minestrone and here's the recipe--it's vegetarian and very good. Feel free to sub vegetable stock for the homemade stock - but if you have time and the ingredients, make the stock homemade - it's so much better that way! You'd need about 8 cups of broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 heads garlic (whole)
- 10 cups water
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, red, green, yellow, orange, chopped
- 3 small zucchini, chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 1/2-2 cups pasta (short, chunky pasta is good)
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Part One: The Broth.
- 2Remove the papery skins from the garlic heads and break them into cloves.
- 3Whack the cloves with the broad side of a wide knife.
- 4Combine everything up to and including the thyme in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- 5Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for an hour.
- 6Strain the stock and use right away, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to four days, or freeze up to six months.
- 7Part Two: The Soup.
- 8Sauté onions in oil, until they are starting to soften.
- 9Add carrots, peppers, zucchini, garlic, basil, oregano, chili flakes, and turn down to medium-low and cover, stirring frequently, until the veggies start to soften a bit.
- 10Add diced tomatoes and broth, and season with salt and pepper.
- 11Bring to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 45 minutes or so.
- 12Add drained and rinsed beans.
- 13Add pasta, and cool immediately or pasta will start to break down and fall apart.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Katzen's Minestrone (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 266.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns