A happy experiment, born some extra peanut butter and peanut butter chips, and a need for an awesome brownie recipe. DH said they were Outstanding - and this from a guy whose high praise usually comes in the form of a grunted, "good".
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter, crunchy, smooth (or a combination of both)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Melt butter in microwave. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt; beat until well blended. Stir in nuts and 1 cup peanut butter chips. Pour batter into pan. Melt peanut butter in microwave, approximately 20 seconds, until soft. Drop by spoonfuls or pour over surface of brownie batter. Run a knife through the peanut butter/brownie batter, to swirl peanut butter through brownie batter. Ensure you pull the knife Bake 30-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides.Cool completely.
- Melt butter; stir in cocoa. Add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed.
- Spread on cooled brownies, sprinkle with 1/2 cup peanut butter chips.
Totally drool worthy! I used Splenda for the sugar and Adams (natural) peanut butter and skipped any nuts to keep DH happy. They are so rich and wonderful that I can't say that I think there would be a real benefit in adding nuts. Made just a half amount of the icing and just placed a small dollop in the center of each brownie. Perfectly delicious and rather decadent, whats not to love?
Well, I guess I was kucky to get a couple.. because the gang at work feasted on these at lunch. They were all gone within 10 minutes. I did use fat free butter, smooth peanut butter, and pecans in these. They were very moist and the directions are right to the tee. Came out great !! Made for PRMR tag.