Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is in response to a posting on tonkatsu (pork cutlets).This recipe is from "Japanese Family-Style Recipes" by Hiroko Urakami. This is Japanese fast food!
- 7 cups steamed rice
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 boneless pork chops, pounded thin
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 cup dashi broth or 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 3 -4 eggs, beaten
- 8 tablespoons green peas
- Heat vegetable oil 1-inch deep in frying pan or wok to 340F or until a few breadcrumbs dropped into the middle of the oil surface immediately.
- Trim off fat from the pork and pound it to make it thin.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Dust first with flour, then dip into the beaten egg, then the panko crumbs.
- Fry in the oil until light brown--about 4 minutes/side.
- Drain on paper towels and then cut into 1" strips.
- Mix the broth ingredients together in a bowl.
- Then heat 1/4 of the broth in a separate skillet, bringing it just to a boil.
- Add the slices of 1 pork cutlet and cook one minute.
- When the broth has fully coated the cutlet, pour one portion of the beaten eggs into the skillet and stir.
- Add 2 Tbsp. green peas and cook 30 seconds more.
- Place one serving of rice into a deep bowl, then remove the cutlet and egg mixture from the skillet and place over the rice.
- Repeat this for the remaining servings.
Made this for tonight's dinner. We enjoyed this recipe very much. A bit sweeter than another recipe I had been using but equally as delicious. Thanks for sharing!
I've been looking for the perfect katsudon recipe for a couple of years after tasting a great one in Japan, and I've finally found it here. We made a few modifications - less rice, chicken stock instead of dashi, 3 tbsp light and 3 tbsp full soy sauce instead of 6 tbsp full soy, and mushrooms & brown onions instead of peas. Despite the changes it was still incredibly tasty, filling, and very similar to the good Japanese ones. Will be making this again!