1/1 Photo of Kat's Mom's Spaghetti Sauce
Kat's Mom's Note:
Even better the next day! I always make a *big* batch in the crockpot - because when my kids hear that I am making it, they come over to snag a jar or two. If pinched for time, substitute 3/4 TSP of garlic powder and 3 TBL dried minced onions for fresh and cook in a large pot on the stove on low heat for 2 hours (stirring occasionally). When available, I prefer to use meatloaf mix instead of hamburger, but you could use frozen meatballs if you prefer. This sauce freezes well and is always worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet basil
- 2 bay leaves, remember to remove before serving
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1Place sausage in a frying pan with 1/2 cup water.
- 2Poke a few holes on each side of the sausage with a fork so that grease will run out.
- 3Simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes, turning several times until sausage is no longer pink in the middle.
- 4Set aside to cool.
- 5In a big crockpot add the first eleven ingredients.
- 6Clean out frying pan and fry hamburger on medium heat until no longer pink.
- 7Use spatula to break into small pieces.
- 8Drain grease and add meat to the crockpot.
- 9Wipe out frying pan again.
- 10Chop onion and crush garlic cloves.
- 11Melt butter in frying pan and saute the onion and garlic until translucent - about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- 12Add to crockpot.
- 13Remove casings from cooled sausage and crumble sausage into the crockpot.
- 14Stir sauce, cover and cook about 8 hours on low.
- 15About 15 minutes before serving stir in the grated cheese.
- 16Serve over pasta.
- 17We like to sprinkle on more cheese and red pepper flakes and serve with a fresh salad and garlic bread.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kat's Mom's Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.5
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 95.0 mg
- Sodium 1781.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 24.1 g
- Protein 33.0 g