1/3 Photos of Kat's Mom's Family Oatmeal Cookies
Kat's Mom's Note:
When I was a child in the late 50’s, my grandmother became ill. My parents and I made the long trip from Norfolk, Virginia to McPherson, Kansas in our old black Buick. During our weeks in Kansas, I remember visiting relatives, riding tractors, and eating amazing meals in farm kitchens. We had to-die-for fried chicken and many Swedish dishes that were all new to me. One hot summer afternoon, my mother sat down in my Great Aunt’s kitchen and handwrote many of those old recipes in a spiral bound notebook. When my father passed away, I was delighted to find Mom’s notebook. I am passing on these recipes to my family and, of course, to you! This is a wonderful holiday recipe since you can make the mix in advance. When guests visit you can whip up a plate of fresh cookies in about 15 minutes. I love it when the aroma of baking cookies fills the house. Each batch can produce a different tasting cookie depending on what you add to them. Use quick cooking oatmeal for smooth textured cookies or regular oatmeal for chewy. Optional Add-ins: Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, M&Ms, raisins, nuts, crushed corn flakes, cinnamon, etc. Use your imagination. Each of the 6 batches makes 8-12 cookies depending on drop-size and number of add-ins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour, soda, baking powder, salt & white sugar together.
- 2Add brown sugar and softened shortening, blend until crumbly.
- 3Stir in oatmeal.
- 4You can store this mix in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- 5When ready to bake, stir 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract into 2 cups of mix.
- 6If desired, add any chips, nuts, etc.
- 7Put mix (2 tablespoons per cookie or one level ice cream scoop-full - see picture) on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned.
- 8Let cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kat's Mom's Family Oatmeal Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 54
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.7
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 19.5 mg
- Sodium 149.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 2.2 g