Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
When Hurricane Katrina was approaching, all of my family from Mississippi and Louisiana evacuated to my house. My husband and I had just become "empty nesters" because our twins had just moved out; but instead of just the "two of us", it was now the "18 of us" plus an extra cat and chihuahua! Several local churches heard that we had so many family members here and they were so good to bring meals that were already prepared. One of the best things we had was some baked beans with ground beef in them. This recipe is the closest I've come to what we had. As a side note, ten of our family members' homes were completely destroyed, but praise God, everyone survived and has rebuilt.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.