Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
One of those dishes that tastes as good as it smells. Cook roast 20 minutes per pound for medium rare, remember to baste often during roasting to ensure a tender roast.
- 3 lbs venison roast
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup cranberries, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Trim fat from roast,wipe down with damp cloth.
- Put venison in roasting pan and sear in 500 degree oven for 5- 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 425 degrees.
- Arrange bacon slices over roast.
- Roast uncovered in 425 degree oven for 30- 40 minutes.
- Remove bacon.
- Combine all remaining incredients and pour over roast.
- Remember to baste frequently during roasting.
- Cover loosely with foil and cook 1 hour longer.
I made this with a 4 pound shoulder roast, bone in. It cooked about 45 mins extra for the bone. As others did, I used cranberry juice instead of berries for much the same reasons, the kids would cringe. Hey, they're eating venison so I can't complain too much! My only draw back on this is the high salt content. The beef consomme had a ton, and no low sodium option at the stop & shop. But all in all a delicious roast. Will make again.
DH loved this! but then I took a lead from mama and used cranberry juice (for the same reason she did). I think I would leave the lemon juice out next time as the wine, lemon juice and cranberry mix was a bit more acidic than I would have preferred, personal taste only. DH had two helpings which is something he hardly ever does. The only thing I did differently was to brown the meat and then put it in the crockpot for about 8 hrs instead of the oven.
Made this for DH. He thought it was very tasty! I had to use cranberry juice as I didnt have any craisins - and he would not have eaten it if he saw them in there! lol This is good enough for company! Thanks Kato!