Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Oh just a wonderful pie, similar to lemon meringue but with a twist of its own. Well worth the extra effort.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup raspberries, fresh washed,dried
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Mix 1 cup of sugar with the cream of tarter.
- Beat egg white, adding sugar slowly until thick.
- Butter a 10" pie plate.
- Cover completely with meringue mixture.
- Bake 1 hour, let cool in oven for 1 hour.
- Beat egg yolks; add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and rind.
- Cook for 10 minutes in double broiler, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Whip the cream and fold half gently into cooled lemon mixture.
- Gently add raspberries.
- Trying not to break the berries pour the lemon cream mixture into the meringue shell and cover with the remaining cream.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
The filling of the pie is amazing! The meringue crust was not our favorite, but was a nice alternantive. I thought the crust was just too sweet, so maybe I can make it with less sugar. The lemon raspberry filling is completely worth the extra effort! Also, make sure to use a 10 inch pie plate or you won't need to use the entire recipe :) Made for PAC spring '11.
This is an easy and delicious pie that is light as a cloud, the only change I used frozen well drained strawberries in place of fresh raspberries, next time I make it I will use fresh fruit, thanks for sharing BK!...Kitten:)