Recipe by Baby Kato
This is our favourite spice cake...Ummmm...We love lots of spices. On cold fall days..the smell of this cake, brings people right in out of the cold...Great with a nice cup of tea or strong coffee.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
BK, this cake is delicious! if anyone is looking a cake with a lot of flavor, then this is a must try, it is wonderful and definately not shy on flavor! (I got to taste some of the crumbs LOL!) I left out the celery seed and anise, and used sour cream, and added everything else as stated. I drizzled my caramel recipe (#78647) over it and will be taking it over to a get together tonight, I am quite certain it will be a big hit! this is definately a keeper, thanks Baby Kato for sharing a wonderful recipe, Happy Holidays! Kitten:)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream or 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in large bowl and sift together.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Now add in the vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with sour cream or buttermilk.
- DO NOT OVER MIX-- Pour into greased 13 x 9 x 2" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Spread with vanilla buttercream frosting.