Recipe by Baby Kato
This is how I use those leftover black bananas. Sometimes I use the little tiny bananas because they have such an intense flavour. When I'm busy I freeze the bananas just for this cake. This recipe makes great cupcakes that freeze well. I've been making this recipe for 12 years, I hope that you enjoy it as much as we do...
Top Review by mummamills
excellent! easy recipe, just the right sweetness, the kids inhaled it :)
used Self Raising Flour, so left out the salt and raising agents. made 12 large cupcakes, and a small tray, this will be THE recipe from now on :)
made for Aussie swap March 1012
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar, white
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups bananas, overripe, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped fine (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla, pure
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter, add sugar and eggs.
- Mix well, add the bananas, nuts and vanilla.
- Prepare the sour milk by stirring the lemon juice into the milk.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add them to the banana mixture.
- Mix in the sour milk gently.
- Pour into a prepared 9 x 12" pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min - 1 hour (until firm in the center).
- *We find this cake sweet, so I usually just sprinkle icing sugar on top and serve it warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
- It's also nice with vanilla or chocolate buttercream frosting.
- If making cupcakes, bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.