Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful...easy bread...and you can add to it easily...try adding crisp fried bacon, pepperoni, cheddar cheese or hot peppers...(do so in moderation) What makes this bread special...(you soak the cornmeal in the milk for 15 min. without stirring...to get rid of the grittiness)...makes a lovely mellow bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix cornmeal and milk together and let sit at room temperature for 10- 15 min, to get rid of grittiness.
- Sift together: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add to cornmeal mixture after sitting time has elapsed.
- Beat 1 egg and add to cornmeal mixture.
- Last pour oil or melted shortening into cornmeal mixture.
- Grease pan lightly and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minute.
Yum! I made it in my 10" cast iron skillet preheated and greased. I added a handful of cheese and two crumbled slices of bacon, and served with Beer Cheese soup. A delicious dinner, Thanks, BK!
Great cornbread! The only thing I did different was to pour the oil into my cast iron cornbread skillet instead of adding it to the mix. Then placed the skillet in the oven while it was preheating. That way I got a nice crisp bottom with no sticking, and also seasoned my skillet in one step! This cornbread was sweeter than what I am used to, but it was delicious! Thanks for posting. Made for Southern/Cajun Tag.
This recipe was included in Book#228608. November 5, 2008 -- This is an absolutely superb cornbread. Your technique of mixing the cornmeal and milk together for a few minutes before continuing the recipe makes cornbread that has a nice texture without all the grittiness. I used an 8x8 pan and added 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. This recipe makes a really moist cornbread, not dry like so many can be. This is now the only recipe for cornbread I'll use. Thanks, Baby Kato.