Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is the way I have always made my sauce It makes plenty..I freeze the sauce in freezer gallon bags...so that we always have it on hand.
- 3 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 4 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom (any on hand)
- 6 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 -12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup any 'drinkable' red wine (our fave is Chianti by Ruffino)
- 4 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- In a large kettle, brown beef with veggies. Add the tomato paste.and continue browning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and top off with approx 8 cups of water.
- Simmer for 4 to 6 hours. Never put the lid on tight -- it will make your sauce watery!
- Stir frequently.have plenty of crusty Italian bread on hand for dipping (taste testing)!
Flavorful sauce with lots of good texture from the meat and veggies. I froze the leftovers for OAMC.
I halved this recipe, but I must say that the flavor is WONDERFUL!!! I now wish I'd have made the whole batch to save for more later! Just delicious! Wonderful, easy and very fresh-tasting. I loved the subtle sweetness that the sugar added. I did add what was left of a chopped tomato that I needed to use up. I enjoyed this sauce almost as much my Mom's recipe -- which is the grandest compliment I can give! Good stuff, and a keeper for sure! Thank you for sharing, Katie! :)