Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
After watching Alton Brown do this I made my own version of the brine. It works like a charm every time!
- 1 (15 -17 lb) turkey (remember to thaw 24 hours prior)
- 2 cups kosher coarse salt
- 12 ounces beer (I prefer a pale ale. Blue Moon works well)
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup whole peppercorn
- 6 -8 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- Thaw turkey and remove any innards. In a large pot (enough to cover the turkey with water) Add salt and fill 1/3 of the way with cold water. Mix until salt is mostly dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and turkey. Fill till turkey is just covered with cold water. Put in refrigerator or an ice chest (with ice) and keep cool 12-24 hours.
- Once ready to cook turkey, remove from brine and pat dry. Make sure the inside of the turkey does not have any water. Place in a roasting pan. Take all the solid seasonings (garlic, rosemary, peppercorns, lemon) and put inside the turkey. Take a little sea salt and olive oil and rub the turkey down. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes per lb. For the last 20 minutes, remove the foil and set the oven to broil (low broil if an option). This will brown the skin. Watch closely as each oven is different. It may take less or more time to brown depending on the oven.
- Once the turkey has reached an internal temp of 150-160 degrees, remove from the oven and let sit for 20 minutes before carving.