Recipe by Pookatron
This is a light, delightful cake that I got the recipe for while visiting Kathy in rural Arizona. Lovely on those hot, dry days and a perfect accompaniment for social teatime gatherings! I couldn't find a duplicate on here, so I am posting it for safekeeping (found the recipe wadded up in my purse upon my return...)
Top Review by racrgal
This looked like a very old recipe that I had somehow misplaced. It is! A heavier cake that I served chilled. Delicious! Every bit as good as I remembered. Prepared for PAC FALL 2008 Thanks Pookatron.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail, well-drained (reserve a tablespoon of juice for sauce and set that aside for later)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (any nuts can be used, I prefer walnuts)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon reserved juice from fruit cocktail
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Sift together sugar, flour & soda in mixing bowl.
- In medium-sized bowl mix drained fruit cocktail with eggs.
- Combine two mixtures; pour into greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 300F for 45-60 minutes, until brown and toasty on top.
- Beat the egg very well.
- Place all sauce ingredients in small saucepan, heat until mixture is Creamy, NOT boiling.
- Pour over cooled cake.