Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom makes this in cold weather. It makes a lot and also freezes well. i've also modified it to be lower in fat.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey breast
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cansyellow whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package original ranch dressing mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- Cook meat until gray & drain.
- (Also, crumble up while cooking).
- Saute 1 onion and add to the meat- or just cook with the meat.
- Add rest of the ingredients with liquid- except hominy.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with cornbread or tortilla chips.
- (This is also a great recipe to add quinoa or rice to- it helps stretch it and add needed a needed food group).
I love any recipe that is easy to make. The only thing somewhat different was that I had to use 28 ounces of hominy, as I did not have the smaller size. I'll be making this again, thanks for posting. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game ~ Summer 2010