Recipe by Carol's Mistletoe Kitchen
My sister, Kathy, introduced me to this cake over 30 years ago. She has been gone for 15 years, but, everyone in our family makes this cake and we always think of her. This is probably my son's favorite!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup oatmeal (small oats)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring margarine and water to a boil in small saucepan.
- Stir in oatmeal and let sit 20 minutes. (use small oats).
- Mix with sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients (flour & soda).
- Cook 30 minutes at 350 degrees in 9 x 13 pan.
- Topping: In small saucepan melt butter and stir in sugar. Add cocoanut, evaporated milk and pecans.
- Spread icing evenly on cake right out of the oven. Cover with foil immediately.