Recipe by Chef53Kathy
My now-deceased uncle used to make these when I was a little girl. He lived with us and loved to cook. My Moms' friends would come to visit and they would beg him to make them for a snack! I have made them for years and they are a family favorite with just about any dish. I vary them sometimes by adding shredded cheeses or even Velveeta. I guess you could call them a variation of scallopped potatoes but we just like to call them 'mushy'!!
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the peeled and sliced potatoes to a large skillet and add the water. Bring to boiling and stir the potatoes to prevent sticking until fork tender. (I try to make them al dente like pasta) You may have to add more water, play this by ear and just eyeball it. Once the potatoes are tender and most of the water has evaporated add the cream, salt and pepper and continue to heat until thickened and creamy. If you are adding cheese add it with the cream.
- ( sometimes it is necessary to add more cream if the potatoes look dry -- remember they are supposed to be creamy and 'mushy').
- Hope you like these as much as we do.