Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Meaty Spagetti Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb mild sausage, coin sliced
- 1⁄2 lb hot sausage, coin sliced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a frying pan add 2 tbs oil, add garlic, onion and green pepper.
- Saute vegetables until tender.
- Add ground beef and sausage to pan, cook until done.
- Pour off excess fat, and add meat mixture to large pot.
- Add tomato sauce and canned tomatoes to meat mixture in pot, keep adding sauce until it's as thick as you like.
- (I like more sauce and less meat, my husband likes's more meat and less sauce).
- Stir sauce until well mixed.
- Add oregano and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle oregano to cover entire top of sauce.
- I add a lot of oregano.
- Mix well, and heat to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Add as much oregano as you like.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once it starts boiling turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water.
- Drain pasta.
- Pour sauce over pasta.
Very good spaghetti sauce! I used garlic sausage instead of the hot, plus I added mushrooms. In addition I used a yellow pepper and served it over top of Ramen Noodles minus the seasoning packet. I doubled the recipe so I could freeze the leftovers.