Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a recipe I got from my awesome mother-in-law. We used to always make them around Christmas and have lots of fun together. She was the one who inspired the baker and cook in me so these are very special to me. It would not be Christmas if I didn't make these at least once! The dough needs to refrigerate overnight. I frost these with "Sugar Cookie Frosting". These cookies are recommended to be frosted. These are not the type of cookies you want to just use sprinkle sugar on. There are other recipes for that if you don't want to frost them.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour milk (put 1 T vinegar in measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Mix the vinegar and milk to make sour milk.
- Add vanilla to the sour milk; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- In separate bowl, blend together baking soda, salt, flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture, alternately with sour milk mixture, to the creamed sugar and egg mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch.
- Cut out with desired cookie cutter or cutters.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes; I like mine soft.
- Let set on cookie sheet for 1 minute before removing to wire rack to cool.
- Frost when cool.
- This recipe should make about 5-6 dozen, depending on the size of the cookie cutter you use.
I made these to day with the sugar cookie frosting and OHHHHMG! they taste just like the one you buy in the store.I always wondered how the made them soo light and fluffy and a little chewy without falling apart. they must use a recipe similar to this...these are the BEST soft sugar cookies i've ever made! Everyone in my family loved them as well. thanks :D
SUPER AWESOME! I made these with a cake, decorated with your icing. They were perfectly soft & delicious! Thank you SO much!
I do no need to make these to rate it. I have made these for 43years. My mother in law made these. My husband's favorite. A very soft mildly sweet cookie that is perfect with a frosting. It is such a delicate taste that any flour other than a good white flour woulld ruin these. My daddy would ask me to keep two dozen for him plain, and he would have them with his morning coffee. Like the biscuits he loved. Thanks for postng, now i can just give out the number.