Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A starter for 6 or light meal for 4 with French/pitta bread We had this as a delicious starter at a friends house, and I begged her for the recipe, I cant wait to try it!! I'm guessing at the amount of halloumi, but basically you want to have about four 'fingers' per person, as a starter. The dressing was marvellous! I love halloumi but have never tried making it, well, thats now going to change :D
- 200 g halloumi cheese
- seasoned flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 limes, juice and zest of (or lime juice from a plastic lime!)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves (I use the stuff in a jar and guess)
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped coarsely (can use less if desired)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pat cheese dry with kitchen paper.
- Slice into fingers.
- Prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients together in bowl. Check taste.
- You can make it ahead of time and put in fridge overnight, but take out to warm up a little before serving.
- Coat cheese slices in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Fry cheese slices in hot oil, about 1 minute each side, till golden.
- Serve immediately with dressing poured over.
- Serve with Greek pitta bread/French bread.
I must agree with Baby Kato - this recipe will put you in taste heaven! Karen Elizabeth, this was a fabulous appetizer - and will definitely go down in my list of party foods (or anytime foods). It's easy to make and the vinaigrette is so, so good!!! Like Jubes, used a non-stick fry pan for this. Made for ZWT9 for team Gourmet Goddesses. Thanks for posting!
Reviewed for ZWT9 -Greece. Absolutely loved this haloumi dish - a real winner for me. The creaminess and richness of the cheese was a perfect partner to the tangy lime,caper and coriander dressing. Definitely a make again recipe for me. Used a non-stick frypan in preference to a grill pan and sorghum flour to make this recipe gluten-free suitable. Photos to be posted
We loved the halloumi cheese with this vinaigrette. I served it at lunch time and it was gone in a flash. The only change I would make next time is to not add salt to the flour. Thanks for a great recipe.