1/2 Photos of Kathi's Ode to Almond Joy Haupia Pie
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Kathi Ann's Note:
I hope you enjoy my version of this traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert, which is often found at luaus and other local gatherings in Hawai'i. Key differences include a dark chocolate layer of coconut-flavored gelled-pudding (in addition to the regular white layer), and almond flavored whipped topping. So easy to make and like the recipe says, BEST IF REFRIGERATED OVERNIGHT to let the layers set up and the flavors develop - in the words of Alton Brown: "Your patience will be rewarded!" (This pie also freezes well - I would say easily keeps for 6 months in the freezer. If you want to make more than one at a time, use regular 8" instead of deep dish pie shells, and then split the coconut mixture and chocolate coconut mixture each into equal halves after step 12 & proceed w/the rest of the steps for each pie shell. You will then have one to share, and a spare!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 prepared deep dish 9-inch pie shell
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml whole milk (skim or low fat may be substituted)
- 118.29 ml cornstarch
- 236.59 ml water
- 198.44 g 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips, such as Ghirardelli (regular semi-sweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate baking bars may be substituted)
- 4.92 ml chocolate shavings
- 29.58 ml toasted shredded coconut
- 14.79 ml toasted sliced almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Bake crust according to package directions, or until golden brown (usually between 10-15 minutes). Note: don't forget to pierce bottom & sides with a fork before baking!
- 3Set aside to cool.
- 4In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, coconut milk and 1 cup of sugar.
- 5In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water.
- 6Bring the coconut mixture to a boil.
- 7Reduce to simmer and slowly whisk in the cornstarch.
- 8Continue stirring mixture over low heat until thickened.
- 9In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips over lowest heat setting until melted. (Note: be sure to use a clean, dry spoon to stir the melting chocolate to avoid introducing any moisture, which can cause the chocolate to seize.).
- 10Reserve half of the coconut mixture in the medium saucepan and keep on lowest heat setting.
- 11Transfer the other half of the coconut mixture to the small saucepan of melted chocolate.
- 12Thoroughly mix the contents of the small saucepan (half of the coconut mixture and the melted chocolate).
- 13Pour the chocolate mixture in the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- 14Cook reserved half of coconut mixture to desired thickness and pour on top of the chocolate layer. (Note: the mixture can be poured on top of the chocolate layer immediately after the step above; but some people like to cook the white layer a bit longer for a firmer texture - use your own judgement/preferences.).
- 15Cover and refrigerate for AT LEAST one hour. BEST if refrigerated overnight to reach optimal firmness and flavor profile.
- 16Whip cream with 1/4 cup sugar and the almond extract until stiff peaks form.
- 17Spoon the almond whipped cream on top of pie, or pipe with a pastry bag.
- 18Garnish with chocolate shavings, toasted coconut & toasted almond slices(optional).
- 19Slice and serve!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kathi's Ode to Almond Joy Haupia Pie
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.5
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 64.1 mg
- Sodium 170.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 40.4 g
- Protein 9.8 g