Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 24 ounces cottage cheese (nonfat is fine)
- 3 3⁄4 cups ground beef, cooked
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Assembly Directions:.
- Cook spaghetti till slightly underdone. Drain and place in 9x13 inch pan or two 8-inch pie dishes. Add melted butter/margarine, egg and Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and then spread evenly in bottom of pan or dishes. Layer cottage cheese on top of spaghetti.
- Combine tomato paste, water, oregano, garlic powder, and sugar in bowl. Add cooked ground beef. Layer tomato and beef mixture onto cottage cheese. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Freezing and Cooking Directions:.
- To freeze: Wrap casserole in freezer paper or put pan into 2-gallon freezer bag. Label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw casserole dish. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Frozen casserole may be baked for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- If you don’t want to tie up your dishes you can also line your pan with sprayed heavy-duty plastic wrap. Assemble the casserole and open freeze. Pop the block out of the pan and finish wrapping in plastic wrap.
- Put into freezer bag, label and freeze.
- To serve: Unwrap frozen block and put back into casserole dish to thaw in refrigerator. Bake following directions above.
- *1 lb. uncooked ground beef = 2 1/2 cups cooked beef.