Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is just an awesome Spanish rice dish that I always prepare with my recipe for Mexican Corn Bread (#110947). I also make Mexican Fried Corn (#58803)which is really tasty and goes well with my Spanish Rice and Mexican Corn Bread. If you are in the mood for Mexican some evening, make all three dishes and you won't be disappointed, neither will your guests!
- 1 large red onion, chopped (or yellow onion)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper, red pepper and yellow pepper (Note ( if you do not have peppers on hand, you can use Salsa. If you like it hot, use a hot Salsa an)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon chicken instant Oxo
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (use more depending on your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (use more depending on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan(use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan) on medium heat.
- Slowly cook the chopped onions until soft.
- Add the rice and coat it with the oil and onions.
- Mix the chicken OXO in 2 cups of hot water and slowly add to the rice.
- Add tomatoe paste, basil, oregano, minced garlic and chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the chopped green, red and yellow peppers (or Salsa).
- Cover with lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked the rice should be a bit wet.
- Note: Watch to see if more hot water is needed during cooking.
This is a good base recipe for Spanish Rice, great list of ingredients, but just a little short on flavor. Made as written and next time I will saute the garlic with the onion and add some salt. Thanks *Made for Mediterranean Photo Tag*