2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
Oxtail is one of those cuts that doesn't seem to be popular any more. However this stew from Katherine in the Northern Territory is still popular. Times are guestimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim the excess fat off the oxtail.
- 2In a large pot or Dutch oven, fry the oxtails until browned and cooked through.
- 3Remove from pot.
- 4Place diced ginger, onion and garlic in pot with meat juices and cook until onions are brown and soft.
- 5Throw in dollops of tomato paste and mix well.
- 6Return oxtails to the pot and add 1/2 cup of beef stock and keep mixing over heat.
- 7Add all the chopped up vegetables to the meat mixture.
- 8Add remaining stock and cook until vegetables are cooked.
- 9For a more tender meat, stew for a longer period.
- 10You may have to add a cup or two of beef stock or water to prevent drying out.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Katherine Oxtail Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 706.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2145.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 135.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.7 g
- Sugars 39.1 g
- Protein 22.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: