Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "A Harried Cook's Guide to Some Fast Food" by Laurie Colwin from Endless Feasts | April 2003 edited by Ruth Reichl Modern Library
- Melt together 1 stick butter and 2 squares unsweetened chocolate and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Stir in 1 cup sugar, add 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and beat the mixture well.
- Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. (In the original recipe, 1 cup chopped walnuts is added here as well.).
- Bake the brownies in a buttered and floured 8-inch-square pan at 325°F for about 40 minutes.
- You can cut these brownies into squares, once they have cooled, and eat them out of the pan, but it is so much nicer to pile them on a fancy plate, from which people are going to eat them with their hands anyway. If you want to smarten up your act you can put a square of brownie on a plate with a little blob of créme fraîche and a scattering of shaved chocolate.
OMG!! These are the best Brownies ever!!! I served these warm with some cherries and whip cream!!
Great gooey chewy brownies! I doubled recipe and glad I did! Made for PAC fall 2012
Wonderful true brownie. Have had this recipe for many years and found that it is important to use unsalted butter, as written. If directions are followed exactly noone should have a problem with them. They do make a thinner square.