From "A Harried Cook's Guide to Some Fast Food" by Laurie Colwin from Endless Feasts | April 2003 edited by Ruth Reichl Modern Library
- Melt together 1 stick butter and 2 squares unsweetened chocolate and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Stir in 1 cup sugar, add 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and beat the mixture well.
- Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. (In the original recipe, 1 cup chopped walnuts is added here as well.).
- Bake the brownies in a buttered and floured 8-inch-square pan at 325°F for about 40 minutes.
- You can cut these brownies into squares, once they have cooled, and eat them out of the pan, but it is so much nicer to pile them on a fancy plate, from which people are going to eat them with their hands anyway. If you want to smarten up your act you can put a square of brownie on a plate with a little blob of créme fraîche and a scattering of shaved chocolate.