Recipe by Kate in Ontario
I have adapted this recipe after trying many different variations.The spicy clamato gives it lots of zip.Different vegetables work well. Just add your favorites. When I submitted this recipe I cut the ingredients in half as I usually make a huge batch and freeze half.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups spicy clamato juice
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 package frozen cheese tortellini
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam sausage for 15 minutes to reduce fat content.
- Let cool, and slice into bite sized pieces, removing casing if desired.
- Spray large pot with no-stick spray.
- Place sliced sausage in large pot with oil and let brown lightly. Remove sausage and pour off excess oil.
- In same pot add onions,garlic, celery, carrots, and mushrooms until softened but not browned, then add back sausage.
- Stir in seasoning, tomatoes, stock and clamato juice.
- Bring to boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add frozen pasta and kidney beans; simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- If too thick, dilute with water or more broth.
- Season to taste.