1/8 Photos of Kate's Quiche Lorraine Souffle Style Extreme Variations
1 hr 20 mins
I invented these extreme variations of Quiche Lorraine at the end of ZWT5 based on Karen Elizabeth's Classic Quiche Lorraine #299242, taking advantage of the unique ingredients I had bought over the tour. Each variation I tried and pictured was great in its own way. Next time, if I had piperade sauce on hand (Julie B's Hive's Piperade for One or Two #233205), I might add that on a wedge. The measurements for toppings are for 1 choice of topping to cover the entire quiche. Choose 1,2,3,4, or 5 toppings, and make a decorative pattern, allowing small wedges to be cut of this rich quiche. If available, Pillsbury's refrigerated pie crust works well (do not prick or pre-bake) in a glass deep-dish pie plate. To make the crust less soggy, wash the bottom crust with egg white and refrigerate for 10 minutes before adding the filling. I recommend very small wedges (12 servings), this is very rich. Serve with a side salad with vinaigrette dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces plain flour
- 1/16 teaspoon salt (1 pinch)
- 4 1/2 ounces cold unsalted butter (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/8 cup ice water
FILLING (see recipe description)
- 5 -6 ounces bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 3/4-1 cup shallot, finely chopped (2-3 large shallots)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (half may be fat-free half-and-half if you must)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
TOPPING VARIATION A GRUYERE
- 6 ounces gruyere, shredded (may be put on top of shallots and cream reduced)
TOPPING VARIATION B CHEVRE
- 4 ounces chevre cheese (Rolled in Herbs ( Sun-dried tomatoes, fresh dill, green onion, Italian parsley, provincial herbs ( ) or 4 ounces goat cheese (Rolled in Herbs, Sun-dried tomatoes, fresh dill, green onion, Italian parsley, provincial herbs ( )
TOPPING VARIATION C BOURSIN
- 4 ounces boursin with garlic and fines herbes, crumbled (may be substituted for 1/4 cup heavy cream in filling)
TOPPING VARIATION D CHIVES
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped (as garnish)
TOPPING VARIATION E PIPERADE
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C, or Gas Mark 6). Butter glass deep-dish pie plate or 9-inch loose-bottomed flan tin.
- 2PASTRY (if not using Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust):.
- 3Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Some people use a food processor.).
- 4Mix in the egg-yolk and sufficient iced water to bind the ingredients.
- 5Knead the dough lightly, and then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. (Cover the pastry with clingwrap).
- 6STAGE 1 FILLING:.
- 7Let eggs come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, chop bacon into small pieces and cook over medium-low heat in 10-inch skillet until lightly browned. Drain fat off.
- 9Meanwhile, chop shallots. Heat white truffle oil in 8-inch saute pan for 1 minute at medium heat, then saute shallots until lightly browned. Do not drain.
- 10OPTIONAL PIPERADE SAUCE:.
- 11In a 9-inch skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- 12Add the onion, green pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes until softened.
- 13Add garlic and tomatoes and saute 4-5 minutes longer or until the mixture is dry. Transfer to a medium-size bowl and set aside.
- 14STAGE 2 FILLING:.
- 15Separate eggs into 2 medium bowls.
- 16In egg yolk bowl, add heavy cream (if choosing to add Gruyere or Boursin in filling, reduce heavy cream to 1 1/4 cups), nutmeg and white pepper. (If choosing to add Boursin in filling, add to cream mixture.) Whisk until smooth.
- 17In egg white bowl, beat with electric beater until soft peaks form.
- 18ASSEMBLE QUICHE:.
- 19If you made your own pie crust, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a buttered 23cm/9 inch deep-dish glass pie plate or loose-bottomed flan tin. Prick the base of the flan with a fork.
- 20If using Pillsbury pie crust that has come to room temperature, roll out carefully and line pie plate or flan tin. Do NOT prick base of flan with fork.
- 21Sprinkle the cooked bacon pieces over the base of the pastry case.
- 22Spread the sauteed shallots evenly across the top of the bacon.
- 23If including Gruyere in filling, distribute it evenly across the top of the shallots.
- 24Carefully fold egg whites into egg yolk-cream mixture, then pour over solid ingredients already in pie plate.
- 25Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
- 26GARNISH QUICHE:.
- 27Garnish the quiche with the toppings of your choice; I recommend keeping each garnish distinct. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 28Use sharp knife to slice into small wedges, this is very rich.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kate's Quiche Lorraine Souffle Style Extreme Variations
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.5
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.3 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 225.2 mg
- Sodium 432.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 19.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white truffle oil