1/2 Photos of Kate's Moist and Tender Corned Beef, Cabbage, and Vegetables
6 hrs 30 mins
Garden Gate Kate's Note:
My family love this recipe. They claim it has ruined corned beef and cabbage pub fare for them for life. Most corned beef recipes call for the cabbage to be cut in quarters or sixths. However, thinly slicing the cabbage allows it completely absorb the delicious corned beef flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery hearts, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- water, to cover (add more as needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium head of cabbage, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium turnips, quartered
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup low sodium beef broth or 3/4 cup corned beef broth
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon cream-style prepared horseradish (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1To a large soup pot, place corned beef brisket and all the spices and juices that came in its bag. Add onions, celery, garlic, water to cover, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 3 hours.
- 2Add carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Add potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Add cabbage and turnips. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and parsley, and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off burner.
- 5Remove corned beef brisket from pot. Let corn beef brisket rest for 10 minutes and then slice in 1/3 to 1/2 inch slices across the grain. Return corn beef to pot.
- 6Parsley Sauce: Sauté onion in butter until lightly golden on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly golden. Whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 7In a small bowl, combine sour cream, horseradish, parsley, and salt. Stir sour cream mixture into hot pan. Cook until heated through, but do not boil.
- 8To serve, transfer the tender corned beef, cabbage, and vegetables to a large platter or to individual plates. Pour the Parsley Sauce into a gravy bowl. Each person can use as much Parsley Sauce on top of the corned beef as they prefer.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kate's Moist and Tender Corned Beef, Cabbage, and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.7
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 183.0 mg
- Sodium 2038.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 36.2 g