Recipe by Garden Gate Kate
After trying many stuffing recipes with a long lists of ingredients and muliple steps, I've settled on this easy one which has big taste for little effort because every ingredient adds a layer of flavor. Cook on top of stove or in oven. I make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas when I have ten other dishes to prepare simultaneously but it's also easy enough for a weeknight.
Top Review by Maito
The marinated artichokes totally make this! I subbed meatballs for the sausage and omitted the bell pepper (personal preference). It came out good, we really liked the flavors together.
- 4 links about 1 pound mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 hearts celery (all leafy, tender stalks, finely chopped)
- 1 (12 ounce) jarquartered marinated artichoke hearts, strained and finely chopped (I use Reese brandname, make sure to get the marinated kind)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag herb stuffing mix (or 10 ounces of garlic and butter croutons)
- 3 -6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop artichokes into bite-size pieces. Discard any sharp ends and tough dried out leaves. To save time, artichoke hearts, onion, green bell pepper, and leafy celery hearts can be chopped individually in a food processor. Note: the amount of chicken broth to be added is not an exact measurement because some packaged herb stuffing or croutons absorb more moisture than others.
- OVEN: Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Crumble sausage evenly over bottom of 13 by 9 inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove sausage from oven and crumble into fine pieces. Stir in onion, green bell pepper, leafy celery hearts, artichoke hearts, herb stuffing or croutons, 3 cups chicken broth, and cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 10 more minutes or until browned. Serve.
- ON TOP OF STOVE (this is the way I make it): In a large pan, brown sausage, onion, green bell pepper, and leafy celery hearts in olive oil. Add artichoke hearts, herb stuffing or croutons, 3 cups chicken broth, and cheese. Simmer 30 minutes with lid ajar, stirring often to prevent sticking adding additional chicken broth as needed while simmering. Dressing should be moist. Serve.