Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The weight of the box of shredded wheat pastry is a guess. It cuts surpisingly well - the bottoms layer becomes very soft/soggy, while the top
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts (a combo of walnut, & almonds can be used)
- 1 lb butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 (1 lb) boxshredded wheat pastry dough, thawed
- Oven at 350ºF.
- Butter a 9x13" baking pan lined with foil to make removing the pastry easier.
- Combine sugar, water & lemon juice in a
- pot. (NOTE - you could also throw a cinnamon stick into the syrup mixture).
- Bring to a boil & simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
- Spread half of pastry (or shredded wheat pastry) in bottom of pan.
- Drizzle with half the melted butter.
- Combine the walnuts with the cinnamon &
- nutmeg and sprinkle over the pastry.
- Layer the remaining pastry over the nut
- Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Give it a light 'press' at this stage to meld all the layers.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven & pour syrup over hot pastry.
- When cool, cut in squares, then in half
- diagonally for triangles. (Allow to sit overnight - you should definitely allow it to sit several hours, unrefrigerated)
- remains crispy.